I’m going to teach you how a new physician (one that who has never ever heard about you before, one who does not know you exist, one that has never referred to you before) can start referring back to you.
It is actually pretty simple. If you want a new doctor to become a referral source for your clinic, take the following steps:
- Step 1: Get the doctor’s information.
- Doctor’s name
- Mailing address
- Phone number (preferably their fax number)
- Website address
- Email address
You start by sending the physician a letter that:
- Introduces you
- Offers something of value to their patients
- Step 2: A week later, follow up with a phone call.
Follow up a phone call simply asking is they got the letter, if they have any questions, if you can help them or their patients in any way, offer something of value. Go to the doctors with a giving hand, don’t just approach the doctors saying “Here we are, we are nice people. Please send us patients.”The goal with physician referral generation is to try and build a relationship, not to get the referral, because referrals are consequences of the relationship.
- Step 3: A week after step 2, go to the doctor’s office.
Whether it’s you or your marketing person, or it’s someone in your clinic who’s helping you with marketing, actually visit the doctor’s office and follow up on the letter as well as the phone call. You are now approaching doctors using 3 different modes of communication - regular mail, phone call, and a personal visit. You are looking for one of the following outcomes:
- The doctor might reward you with the first referral. This is the big breakthrough that you are looking for.
- For some reason, the doctor might just not respond or not even refer to you, which is fine. If the doctor is not referring to you, and if the doctor specifically says that they wont refer to you for what ever reason, that’s fine. Just move on to the next doctor.
- Condition Patients To Refer share It’s been 3 months since Ritika and I...
- The Script That Makes Patients Want To Refer and SURPRISE Announcement share If you want to know exactly what to...
- How To Interview Physicians To Gain Referrals share The Physician Profiling Principle Doctors will now wait...
- Best Strategies to get Physical Therapy Patients share A core tenet in becoming a physical therapist...
- The Eroding Attention Span of Patients and Referral Sources share Today, I would like to teach you about...